The OverWatch League released some base hard stance rules as they pertain to the 7 original teams and additional expansions:
- Rosters must have at least 6 players with a maximum of 12 Players.
- Each contract is for a minimum of 1 year with an additional 1 year extension if agreed upon.
- Minimum salary is set at $50,000 per year with bonuses.
- Bonuses include: 50% of winnings from events must go directly to the players.
- Health Insurance, Retirement, must be provided.
- Housing and Practice Facilities must be provided during the season.
- The signing for rosters for season begins August 1st-October 30th.
Our discussion today is NOT about OverWatch. We’ll be discussing the ramification of just how big contracted players are for eSports.
- Listeners: You might be asking, well why is this a big deal? Sports people get paid waaaay more and for waaay longer contracts so why is this so important? What are your thoughts on why this is so big, Garrett? Joshua?
- What is this gonna do for professional gaming?
- How quickly will other eSports League follow suit with similar structures? Or will they?
- Is this the beginning of a surge of increased demand for eSports gaming?
Games w/ Gold:
- Slime Rancher – $19.99
- Live the life as a Slime Rancher as you catch and “farm” different slimes and feed them to grow “plorts”, to then exchange them for currency to build better housing and farms. Rinse and repeat (First person perspective)
- Trials Fusion – $19.99
- A fun platform based motorbike racing game where you try to reach the goal by using physics to your advantage to dodge and climb over many obstacles that stand in your way
- Bayonetta – $19.99
- A fast paced action game similar to Devil May Cry
- Red Faction: Armageddon – $29.99
- The 4th game in it’s series, this Red Faction is well know for its action/shooter gameplay and a crazy amount of destructible environments
Playstation Plus Freebies:
- Just Cause 3 – $59.99
- Open world action/adventure game
- Assassin’s Creed: Freedom Cry – $14.99
- Standalone story add on to AC 4: Black Flag
- Super Motherload
- A 1 to 4-player couch co-op digging adventure game. Think Dig Dug with a small grind simulator, where your earn gems mined and money to build a better drilling machine, to dig some more.
- Snakeball – $9.99
- Think the Nokia cell phone game SNAKE mixed with Hungry Hungry Hippo’s and a colorful disco dance floor. Eat up balls across the dance floor and spit them out into a goal.
- Downwell – $4.99
- A roguelike vertically scrolling shooter/platformer, where you must dodge/kill enemies along your path as you dive down to the bottom of the well. Grab items and powerups as you make your way to the bottom of each stage.
- Level 22 – $6.99
- Gary is an office worker who oversleeps after a drunken night out on the town. Now Gary must go to work late and not get caught! Climb 22 floors through stealth mechanics, hide in closets, slink across walls, and crawl through vents as you try and make it to your desk without getting caught!
Who won this month in your opinion?
What game are you looking to play most?
What’s the standout title for each console?
How does a gamer do it all?
We’ve had discussions in the past about how many games do we play each month, and how many games released is too many. We’ve also had discussions on whether there are games and movies that are “Need to Experience” or not. One thing that I thought about is: How do you make the time to fit in all of your movies, games, youtube video, social media and still have to time to eat and breathe?
HOMEWORK: Make sure you read these and have answers ready.
- How do you prioritize what you play/watch/read?
- What always takes the first spot if/when it drops?
- What are some tips that you can recommend to streamline gaming/viewing productivity?
- The biggest time wasters that burn away all of your extra time?
- It has been revealed via Comic Con that Terry Cruz will voice a playable character in the upcoming Crackdown 3 game
- EA confirms a new mode for Battlefield 1 coming later this year. This will be a new E-Sports mode to allow for more competetive play in the popular shooter
- Ubisoft announces some updates in For Honor later this year, including 2 new seasons of content with new heroes, maps, gear, and new modes. In addition, they will also add dedicated servers for the online multiplayer
- The Dragonball FighterZ beta sign-ups have been delayed for one month. As sign-ups will be in the middle of August, the actual beta will go be playable for 3 days, IMMEDIATELY BEFORE the release of Marvel vs Capcom Infinite
- Wonder Woman passes Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 for the 2nd highest grossing film of the year, only behind Beauty and the Beast. Also, Wonder Woman is now the highest grossing film ever made by a female director
- James Cameron is contemplating reinventing the Terminator franchise into a new trio of films that would be more relevant to the audience based on today’s advancements in technology
- With much criticism and dismay from fans and gamers alike, the developers of Marvel vs Capcom Infinite have said that they will look into polishing and adjusting some character models in the game *cough cough CHUN-LI cough cough DANTE*
- In other Wonder Woman news, the upcoming sequel is rumored to come out in 2019, with the setting based in the 1980’s during the Cold War
- Dying Light developer Techland has announced that 10 new DLC packs will be released FOR FREE over the next year, thanks to a huge community still supporting the game. It is said that over 500,000 people still play this game WEEKLY to date
- Head of Xbox Phil Spencer says that preorder details for the Xbox One X are coming soon, and that “Our plan is set”, meaning they are just waiting to reveal what’s behind curtain number one.