- A 3-year contract was negotiated between the two parties, ending what would have been a nasty strike going into the summer blockbuster time of the year for both movies and television.
- What was the issue?
- In a nutshell; WGA wanted an increase in pay and additional health care benefits.
- Over the last two years, while the amount of scripted TV shows has risen dramatically, the average pay of writers working in television had decreased between 18%-23%.
- This can be directly contributed to short order shows that are being ordered by digital subscription services and cable networks as opposed to the more traditional 22 episode averages on Prime Networks.
- Health Care Issues:
- No Job protection during parental leave (this has now been changed/ but no PTO for parental leave.
- What would a strike have meant for us as entertainment consumers in the next 6 months?
- What does the adjustment in the contract mean for consumers going forward?
- 3 years is a very short amount of time? Will we be in the same boat in a few years?
May Games & Movie Releases
- PREY: Releases on May 5th
- Developer: Arkane Studios (Dishonored 2)
- Published by Bethesda
- On Xbox One, PS4 & PC
- NBA Playgrounds: Releases May 9th
- Developer: Saber Interactive
- Xbox One, PS4, Switch & PC
- Injustice 2: Releases May 16th
- Developer: NetherRealm Studio
- Publisher: Warner Bros. Interactive
- The Surge: Releases May 16th
- Developer: Deck13 Interactive
- Focus Home Interactive
- On Xbox One, PS4 & PC
- Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia: Releases on May 19th
- Developer: Intelligent Systems
- Publisher: Nintendo
- Guilty Gear XRD Revelator 2: Releases May 26th
- Developer: Arc System Works, Team Red
- Publisher: Arc System Works
- (Movie) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 – Released on May 5th
- Starring Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Bradley Cooper, Karen Gillan, & Vin Diesel.
- (Movie) King Arthur: Legend of the sword – 5/12
- When young Arthur’s father is murdered, Vortigern, Arthur’s uncle seizes the crown. Robbed of his birthright and with no idea who he truly is, Arthur comes up the hard way in the back alleys of the city. But once he pulls the sword from the stone, his life is turned upside down, and he is forced to acknowledge his true legacy whether he likes it or not.
- Starring Charlie Hunnam (Arthur), Jude Law (King Vortigern), Astrid Berges-Frisbey (The Mage), Aiden Gillen (Goosefat Bill), and Djimon Hounsou (Sir Bedivere)
- (Movie) Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales: Release May 26th
- Tagline: Thrust into an all-new adventure, a down-on-his-luck Captain Jack Sparrow feels the winds of ill-fortune blowing even more strongly when deadly ghost sailors led by his old nemesis, the evil Captain Salazar, escape from the Devil’s Triangle. Jack’s only hope of survival lies in seeking out the legendary Trident of Poseidon, but to find it, he must forge an uneasy alliance with a brilliant and beautiful astronomer and a headstrong young man in the British Army.
- Starring: Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Javier Bardem (Salazar), Geoffrey Rush (Barbossa), Kevin McNally (Gibbs) Kaya Scodelario & Brenton Thwaites.
Opinion Piece: Video Game Saturation: How many games is too many games in a year?
- It’s no secret that as gamers we all have the issue of simply not having enough time to play all of the titles that release each year and we skip games we’d love to play. It feels like every year more and more titles that release and we play less and less.
- With more than over 600 games releasing between Xbox, Sony, & Nintendo Consoles and there digital store fronts the number of titles is already staggering; and that’s not including mobile and PC (Steam) exclusive titles!
- The question is: Are there truly too many games releasing each year? Do publishers and developers stand to do better with each game by spacing out releases? Or Are we as responsible adults simply too busy?
- Night Shyamalan confirms a sequel to the 2000 hit movie ‘Unbreakable’ called “Glass”. Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson will be returning to the film
- The Harry Potter and the Cursed Child stage play is heading to New York City on April 22, 2018 at the Lyric Theater. No price set yet for the U.S. debut of this stage play
- The Aquaman movie has started production and is slated to release December 21st, 2018. An official new symbol for Aquaman has been released as well
- Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadow of Valentia for the 3DS DLC has been revealed. This DLC will cost you a whopping $45, and will be a 30% saving compared to buying the content separately
- New maps, dungeons, and more
- Rumors of a new Nintendo/Ubisoft crossover game surface. A new Mario RPG with the Rabbids from Rayman form a new game with up to 2 player co-op: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
- Fox will release a one night NOIR version of the movie Logan, titled Logan NOIR. This will release on May 16th at 5pm Pacific Time at Alamo Draft House theaters across the country
- Netherrealm Studios announces 3 of the new DLC characters for the upcoming Injustice game: Starfire, Red Hood, and Sub-Zero
- Don’t forget the silhouettes in the background (noticeably Raiden and Black Manta)
- Head of Xbox Phil Spencer spoke to the future of the Fable franchise. When asked on Twitter if we will ever see a Fable 4, he replied “nothing to announce right now, but I do think the IP has a lot of places it could go”
- The Fate of the Furious has now hit the $1 billion movie mark. Currently the movie sits at the 21st all-time grossing spot, right about Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- A rating leak in Korea suggests a Megaman Legacy Collection 2 will release in the future. This will be a digital release consisting of Megaman games 7,8,9, and 10
E.M #1 Sergio says: Honestly, I know this is going old school, but Nemesis from Resident Evil 3It was an unstoppable juggernaut! Nothing could stop it, bullets, rockets, acid, peeing my pants, the load screen between doors. This is a villain I would never want to experience IRL.
E.M #2 Brandon Says: A Big Daddy, they aren’t traditional scary, but whenever I saw one in the halls of Rapture it was like watching a loose Tiger, beautifully dangerous. If I saw one of those things when I went outside or heard the eerie voice of small girl saying, “Mr. B” I’d crap my pants and close the door; though I know it wouldn’t do much to stop him.
Last month’s April Giveaway Winner is Jennely!
- One free copy of Song of the Deep, One Free Copy of Deformers AND a Power Rangers Blue Ranger POP!
The Listener Question:What is the one game series that NEEDS to be made into a film franchise?
Don’t forget to check out our sister podcast Hooked on Comics, hosted by Layla Balduf and myself where we pick our two favorite comic books from the last week and discuss them.
Super Co-op Squad is a weekly talk show all about discussing gaming, comics and the movies and TV’s show that spawn from them with unique perspective, from the minds of three very different gamers. SCS is a crew of three friends who love chopping it up about games and all the media they love and thought, “Hey, we do this all the time anyway so lets do it in a podcast!”. Join the Super Co-op Squad as they talk about current gaming trends, upcoming titles, movies & more, and give their (mostly) unbiased opinions on everything from the current state of gaming to which Marvel and DC movies are best! Come and enjoy great banter between great friends about all the topics you love (and love to hate) each week!
- Podcast Download
- Follow us on Instagram
- Follow us on Twitter
- Chat with us on Facebook)
- Website Home
Check us out wherever you listen to podcasts!
- SaltyDitty/Pixelland/HappyHappyGameShow Kevin MacLeod
- Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
- Intro by SuperObrothers
- Cover art by: WallEditions on Etsy.